Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sick baby



Poor Laura had a "breathing episode." The babysitter called Tues morning and said she was having trouble breathing, so we went to the Dr. After examining her, he had me do a breathing treatment. The nurse put some medicine in the machine and I had to hold the mask over her nose and mouth so she could breathe the medicine in. She did not like it, and was crying hysterically. I had to hold her with one arm and my chest to keep her head still while the other hand was holding the mask. I tried singing to her to calm her down, but that was not working. Then I started crying. Then she got even more upset because I was crying. So I tried to pull myself together, sing and rub her face and she started to calm down. After we'd been at it for about 20 minutes she was lying peacefully, breathing in the good medicine. The Dr checked out the machine to us to have her do a treatment every 4 hours. The medicine was $114.00!!
After we did the treatment the Dr asked us to get an x-ray of her chest. He wanted to look at her chest and make sure nothing was wrong. I had to hold her while she got the x-ray and I had to hold her away from me so I wouldn't get in the way. She kept twisting to look at me and crying Mamama. I felt so sad because she was looking at me and wondering why was I holding her like this and not comforting her? Finally the got the x-rays finished. The nurse at the Dr's office told me that they would be gone for lunch from 12:15-1:15 and so we went to Walmart to kill 20 minutes. Laura got some apple juice which made her fell better. We then went back to the Dr and he looked at the x-ray and said her chest looked good, he just wanted to make sure. We finally got home at 2 and Laura went to bed and slept until 4:30. Poor girl, she was worn out!
We went back this morning for a checkup. She is doing better, but still wheezy. We have the machine for another night, but they ordered one for me through my insurance so it should be here shortly. We are now doing treatments every 6 hours, which is better. Id forgotten how hard it is to get up in the middle of the night. I didn't miss it!!! We are praying the she will be better soon.
THURSDAY update: She is still wheezy but much less so than yesterday. She has a bad cough and runny nose. She is more active, walking around and playing rather than just sitting and watching. We're hoping she is over the worst of it and is getting better. Please keep her in your prayers.

No comments: